The VA Western New York Healthcare Systems, Buffalo, New York, is seeking a Physician Assistant to serve in the Primary CareClinic at Buffalo and CBOC sites as needed to provide primary care to Veteran patients.
Preferred Experience: Clinical experience in primary care required and Women's Primary Care/Wellnessis preferred.
Basic Life Support (BLS) required.
Minimum 2 years of experience as a Physician Assistant in Primary Care preferred
Ability to provide comprehensive primary care for both men and women is preferred. Training or retraining in "gender specific care" for interested applicants may be required (and provided) to ensure ongoing proficiency in this position.
a. Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3, g, of this part.)
b. Education. The candidate must meet the following:
(1) Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and
(2) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
(1) Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA.
(2) Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section G, Paragraph 5.
(3) If a PA's NCCPA certification is suspended, revoked or expires, the PA must be removed from the occupation which may result in termination of employment.
d. Physical Standards. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019, Part II, Appendix A.
e. English Language Proficiency. PAs appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d).
f. Restriction. Under no circumstances may this occupation be used to employ physicians or other health care providers who do not meet the applicable qualification standards for their occupation. All PAs must meet the requirements in paragraphs 2a through f above.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G8
NOTE: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and utilized in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is. 1985166
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.