The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), a national organization representing approximately 2,800 local health departments (LHDs) nationwide, has an immediate opening for a full-time Senior Director, Research and Evaluation.
POSITION SUMMARY The Senior Director is a leader of a significant function or program of NACCHO and is responsible for both setting the strategy and the results of the area. A Senior Director is expected to integrate complex activities within their function or program and across the organization. He/she oversees the implementation of activities to achieve the function or unit's strategy and operating goals and is accountable for sizeable budgets, revenue generation and/or operational effectiveness. As a leader and manager of employees, the Senior Director is responsible for planning, organizing and managing a team or functional area typically comprised of professional and support staff. An individual contributor at this level is recognized externally as an expert in his or her field. Positions at this level require the ability to think strategically, act independently, and mastery in a specialized area gained through professional education, training and experience; and the capacity to design, implement and manage programs important to their functional area. This position reports to the Senior Advisor – Public Health Infrastructure and Systems
Program Specific Information
This position is responsible for administering NACCHO activities related to research and evaluation (R&E). The individual will lead NACCHO’s National Profile of Local Health Departments study and the companion Forces of Change survey. The individual will work in tandem with the Lead Research Analyst to assist and support NACCHO’s Research Work Group and Profile Survey Workgroup; to create a NACCHO research agenda; to develop strategic relationships with key partners; and to identify and develop research opportunities. With staff, the position will coordinate all research activities across NACCHO. The position will also hold responsibility for overseeing the evaluation of NACCHO programs and assisting the Program and other NACCHO teams in determining NACCHO’s programmatic impact. The position includes roles hiring and supervising staff, managing budgets, writing grants, making presentations, and assisting staff with manuscript and abstract development.
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES Program Administration • Hire, supervise, coach, and conduct performance reviews for all R&E staff. • Develop and manage budgets. • Develop project timelines, identify milestones, determine staffing, and ensure all project deliverables are of a high quality and delivered on-time. • Work with Lead Research Analyst on managing R&E workgroups, identifying and developing research opportunities, and writing grants and reports.
National Profile of Local Health Departments Study • Recruit and assist in staffing a workgroup to advise the Profile study. • Harmonize the Profile study with the corresponding studies of ASTHO and NALBOH. • Work with diverse stakeholders to reach consensus on content of the Profile questionnaire. • Recruit state-level contacts to promote participation by LHDs in the Profile study. • Lead efforts to identify additional ways to share the results of the Profile study. • Advise and oversee the activities of the Profile senior staff, including developing and testing survey instruments; developing a follow-up plan; publicizing and promoting the study; and developing study reports. • Lead evaluation activities to continuously improve the Profile study.
Strengthen NACCHO’s Capacity to Conduct Program-specific Research and Evaluation • Oversee the development and implementation of program evaluation across all of NACCHO. • Work with staff to develop products, reports, etc. that demonstrates NACCHO’s impact and value. • Coordinate program level research activities to ensure quality and lack of overlap. • Provide oversight for the development of guidelines and processes for evaluation and research across NACCHO. • Work with the senior R&E staff to identify research-and evaluation-related training needs for NACCHO staff and provide appropriate training. • Serve as resource to program staff in ensuring that deliverables of high quality and produced in a timely fashion; provide support to staff in developing appropriate manuscripts and abstracts.
• PhD, DrPH or equivalent degree in a related field with a minimum of 2-4 years of administration and other relevant experience related to research and evaluation or Master’s degree in public health or related field with 5 – 8 years of administration and other relevant experience related to research and evaluation. • Experience creating and managing budgets; hiring and supervising staff; and managing multiple complex projects. • Knowledge of statistics, statistical methods and statistical software packages; experience with both quantitative and qualitative research. • Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public. • Experience writing manuscripts and developing posters and presentations. • Experience developing and writing grant proposals.
Full-time, Exempt. TERM: This position is considered Fiscal Year term, however it is a mission critical role. NACCHO will continually strive to maintain funding for all positions.
• HIRING SALARY RANGE: $146,960.00-$153,000.00, commensurate with experience
• SELECTION PROCESS: We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, one writing sample with salary requirements to: PN-103 Senior Director, Research & Evaluation using the following link: https://naccho.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/7993321c-8685-9b32-4c7f-a52a84d008c8/apply?source=492093-CS-2909
• NACCHO offers generous benefits plan including but not limited to 13 days of sick leave annual leave allowable accumulation up to 225 hours, and paid vacation leave, as well as other types of leave. NACCHO benefits include a generous health, dental, and vision plan, 5 percent of base salary contribution to 403(b) plan, (not a matching contribution); paid short and long term disability plan and paid term life insurance. NACCHO also offers discounted gym membership.
• At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We respect and value work force diversity among all employees and all those with whom we do business.