Operates a console telephone switchboard in order to relay incoming, outgoing and interoffice calls. Greets and receives visitors and directs as appropriate.
- Courteously answers, routes and screens outside calls to the proper department or extension number, transfers calls, takes accurate messages and/or holds calls when necessary.
- Answers and screens in-house calls in order to take phone messages for doctors and staff personnel, requests for pages and to complete calls for patients who may need assistance.
- Greets visitors, vendors, physicians and identifies self and briefly explains hospital policies (parking/visitation) if called upon; directs to proper location as needed.
- Pages code blue, fire alerts, stat calls, emergency calls, physicians, and staff, per protocol.
- Informs appropriate personnel of meetings, fire drills, disaster drills and other hospital functions by announcing them over the intercom.
- Maintains a file of hospital personnel and departments by name and extension number as well as phone numbers of hospitals within the area.
- Maintains an alphabetical and numerical log of patient names, room numbers and telephone extensions in order to expedite the relaying of calls.
- Monitors emergency patients when entering the hospital main entrance. Notifies clinical manager when necessary.
- Receives disaster information, notifies proper personnel and departments. Signals all clear when appropriate.