This position exists to promote the goals of the Professional Risk Management Program for the insured entities of the University of Colorado Self Insurance and Risk Management Trust. The Risk Manager will use clinical expertise to review potential or actual liability occurrence and claims and determines risk to the insured entities. Determines next steps which may include additional reviews and negotiation of settlements. The Senior Risk Manager services as a liaison and consultant for other departments concerning risk management matters and professional liability coverage.
This position is eligible for a hybrid work agreement.
- Investigation of notices of claim, lawsuits and licensing board complaints or other threats of legal action. Determines next steps in the management of the claim which may include internal or expert reviews.
- Responsible for analyzing clinical care, collaborating with medical staff and other members of the health care team to complete the necessary investigation of events and legal cases. Recommends steps for action to mitigate legal exposure to the University and insured entities.
- Independently negotiates settlements and resolutions, which may have significant legal and/or monetary implications for the parties involved.
- Develops and presents educational programs to raise staff awareness of risk management concepts related to specific clinical area.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Why Join Us:
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a world-class medical destination at the forefront of transformative science, medicine, education, and patient care. The campus encompasses the University of Colorado health professional schools, more than 60 centers and institutes, and two nationally ranked independent hospitals - UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital and Children's Hospital Colorado - that treat more than two million adult and pediatric patients each year. Innovative, interconnected and highly collaborative, the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus delivers life-changing treatments, patient care and professional training and conducts world-renowned research fueled by over $650 million in research grants. For more information, visit www.cuanschutz.edu.
The University of Colorado offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition benefits, ECO pass, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays and more. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits-wellness.
Diversity and Equity:
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty, and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons within the LGBTQ+ community and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in nursing.
- At least five (5) years of management or leadership experience in a health care capacity.
- Registered Nurse, Licensed in Colorado or eligible for licensure.
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
- Master's degree in nursing or a health-related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Superior skills in establishing work priorities, providing follow through and meeting established guidelines.
How to Apply:
For full consideration, please submit the following document(s):
- A letter of interest describing relevant job experiences as they relate to listed job qualifications and interest in the position.
- Curriculum vitae / Resume
- Three to five professional references including name, address, phone number (mobile number if appropriate), and email address.
- One-page essay: In a one-page essay, please describe your approach to conflict resolution in the workplace. Please provide an example and discuss if your approach was effective in resolving the conflict.
Questions should be directed to: Melissa Lowrey, email@example.com
Screening of Applications Begins:
Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by February 17th, 2023. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
Anticipated Pay Range:
The starting salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established as $72,534 to $92,263.
The above hiring range represents the University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting. This position may be eligible for overtime compensation depending on the level.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org?.
Background Check Statement:
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students, and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:
- Anschutz Campus – Accommodations may be granted for medical or religious reasons.
The University of Colorado seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds.